1. Can you tell us a little about your debut novel?
My debut novel, BLACKHEARTS, is a Blackbeard origin story, or pre-pirate. It’s my idea of what led him to become one of the most notorious pirates to sail the seas.
2. Is it a standalone book or part of a series?
At the moment, it is a standalone.
3. Who inspired your main character?
One of my main characters was obviously inspired by Blackbeard. Only the last two years of his life are known or documented. Blackbeard could read and write, which meant he was educated. It’s believed he came from Bristol, England. I took whatever information I could find and deconstructed it to create my own story of his early life.
4. Are you a plotter or do you just write whatever is in your head?
I’m not really a plotter. I don’t write down my story, but I DO know how I want it to end. Then I write towards that goal, allowing the characters to take me there.
5. Do you require silence when writing or do you need background noise?
I do require silence when I’m writing, but it doesn’t mean I always get it. 🙂 I’m a mother of two, so I’ve learned how to write around interruptions. But no, I don’t have music playing in the background. That would be too distracting for me. However, I do like to have each story I write have a “theme song” and will listen to that before I begin.
6. Are you writing your next book?